Mailchimp GDPR Opt-in Form Integration
Note : GDPR features were added in OptimizePress version 2.5.14 - you must be using this version or higher to make these features available to you.
Our Mailchimp integration allows you to show GDPR consent checkboxes on your OptimizePress opt-in forms. You can send through the consent status to Mailchimp through the use of Custom fields setup inside your Mailchimp account.
Please note our Mailchimp integration does not use the GDPR fields/forms setup by Mailchimp. If you wish to use those features you should use a Mailchimp form directly embedded into your OptimizePress pages.
Here's a guide to using our
First, you need to create the custom fields inside MailChimp. Custom fields are list specific inside MC, so this means you must create the custom fields for each list you wish to use with GDPR features.
Inside MailChimp, go to "Lists" and then select the list you wish to edit
On your list edit page, go to "Setings" and then find the "List fields and Merge tags" option from the dropdown. This is where you will edit the list fields (custom fields) for use with the OptimizePress GDPR Fields
You need to create a total of 7 fields. Ensure that all fields are text format and are not set to be required:
Here's the list (you can use whatever names you wish as long as you recognise them later):
- GDPR 1 Accept
- GDPR 1 Decline
- GDPR 1 NonEU
- GDPR 2 Accept
- GDPR 2 Decline
- GDPR 2 NonEU
- GDPR Consent Notes
Once you have created your custom fields inside MailChimp, you should be ready to configure your OptimizePress opt-in form.
Once you have inserted a form into your page you need to integrate with MailChimp and choose the list where you added the custom fields to using the process above:
After customizing your opt-in form settings, content and button, you can move to the GDPR Consent tab where you can configure the GDPR settings for this form.
Under the "Enable GDPR Checkboxes" section you'll see 3 initial options:
- Do not show GDPR Fields: Will not show any checkboxes on your form
- Show to EU Only: Will only show your checkboxes to visitors from within the IP (by IP address)
- Show to all Visitors: Will show your checkboxes to all visitors to your page
You can choose the option which fits your requirements best.
If you enable checkboxes for EU or all visitors, you will need to configure the fields used in MailChimp to save the consent status of your subscribers.
In the example below, I have enabled the "Consent 1" checkbox, and you can see the options below it to configure. Here's an explanation of each field
- Consent 1 Label/Message - Enter your message to be shown next to your 1st checkbox. You can use HTML code here to add hyperlinks or bold text
- Consent 1 Accept Custom Field/Tag - Select your Consent 1 Accept field here. Our system will add "yes" in this custom field if it is checked
- Consent 1 Decline Custom Field/Tag - Select your Consent 1 Decline field here. Our system will add "yes"
inthis custom field if it is checked
- Consent 1 Not Shown/Non-EU Custom Field/Tag - Select your Consent 1 Not shown/Non-EU field here. Our system will add "yes" in this custom field if the form is not shown (only applies when using the Show to EU only option)
- Consent 2 Checkbox - enable the 2nd checkbox here if you wish (options are the same for both you just need to configure second privacy message and checkbox consent fields)
- Consent Notes Custom Field - select your custom field for storing the notes related to your opt-in form including button text and checkbox message
Once you have configured your fields you should test your form and set up appropriate segmentation based on the custom fields in your campaigns (you should be able to segment based on custom field status inside MailChimp).