How to export & import a template [SmartTheme]
Copying your settings from one SmartTheme installation to another is quite simple once you know how the process works and can save you a lot of time. In this guide, you will learn how to use the various options to export, and then import SmartTheme settings.
If you’re happy with your current SmartTheme design and would like to save this as a template for later use for a future website, you can do so by doing the following:
1. Head to the ‘Import/Export’ area in the SmartTheme settings and under ‘Export Options’ click the ‘Copy Data’ or ‘Download Data File’ button.
Method #1 - Copy Data
1. After clicking on the ‘Copy Data’ button, a content area with the code will reveal. Click in the area and right-click - copy the contents.
2. Next, open a text file on your computer and paste in the contents.
Save the file, giving it a relevant file-name for future use in another website project.
Method #2 - Download Data File
1. Here, the process is the same, except Wordpress will export a file under the following handle - <name of file>.JSON
2. To view the contents of this file, right-click on the downloaded file and open with a text editor.
1. To import a saved template, navigate and open your saved file.
2. Next, copy the contents to your clipboard by pressing right-click - copy on your mouse.
3. Under the ‘Import Options’ section, click the ‘Import from File’ button to reveal an import text box.
Finally, paste in the code by pressing right-click - paste on your mouse. Then click on the ‘Import’ button.
1. Save and preview the changes. Your template should now be successfully displayed on your blog.